Monday, September 26, 2011

Cupcake Pin Cushion

I bought these little plastic bowls that look like cupcake liners from the Hobby Lobby clearance aisle. I wasn't sure what I would do with them until it hit me! I've seen many cute and different pin cushions around pinterest and other blogs, so I decided I would make a cupcake pin cushion.

Supplies:
- Little bowl or container
- Fabric
- Batting
- Circle template
- Cutting mat and rotary cutter
- Some type of glue (I used hot glue)
- Sewing Machine
- Pennies

First, I gathered my materials. I ended up going with the green fabric for this project, but I want to use the cog fabric to make another cupcake pin cushion soon.
 I used my circle cutter template, cutting mat and rotary cutter to cut a 9 in. circle.
I folded the fabric in half and lined up the fold mark with the template. Then used the guide to cut the fabric. Pretty easy! The size was kind of an experiment, but it worked well.
Here's my circle.
Then I made my stitch length as long as I could and sewed around the edge of the circle.
I knotted one end of the thread, so that it wouldn't slip out. Then I pulled one thread on the other end and began to gather the fabric together (the same way you would make a ruffle). After gathering the entire circle like shown in the picture, I tied the remaining thread and trimmed it.
Next, I stuffed as much batting in to the fabric as I could. I wanted it to be pretty firm.
 I took the easy way out and added a few safety pins to keep the batting in.
 I hot glued some pennies to the bottom of my plastic bowl to add some weight to it.
 Then I added hot glue around the inside of the bowl and pressed the batting filled fabric in to the bowl. I added some more glue around the inside to make sure that the fabric was secure.
Here's the finished product. I like it! :)
 Tip Junkie handmade projects  Photobucket   

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tutorial - thank you. I make pin cushions, but you have some very good tips that will make it easier.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment below! Thanks!